SHILLONG | Sept 06, 2019:
Meghalaya Chief Minister, Conrad K Sangma said that there is no truth on the allegations made by Opposition Leader, Dr Mukul Sangma regarding illegal transportation of coal in the state.
“The Congress has been making this allegation time and again. But we are very firm that this kind of illegal activities should not take place,” Sangma said while speaking to reporters here on Friday.
Earlier, Dr Mukul had flagged the illegal transportation of coal in the state and how government machineries are being used to facilitate it. The Leader of Opposition had also alleged Chief Minister, Conrad Sangma of being directly involved in the whole process.
“The kind of modus operandi that is in operation today under the direct command of the Chief Minister and his other people who are partners in crime is going to create a dangerous situation in the state in the years to come,” the opposition leader had said.
Terming that the allegations of the Leader of Opposition as “baseless”, the Chief Minister said that the fact is that the State Government has, time and again, issued instructions to all the departments that they must be very strict on the issue of illegal transportation of coal.
“In fact, we are trying to reform things which have not been corrected. For the first time, the State Government will introduce high tech QR code challan in a month’s time. We are going to do away with the old challan,” Meghalaya Chief Minister said.
According to him, these measures are being initiated to tighten the entire system and leakages if any. “Extensive work is going on to ensure integrated check gates come up at the main exit points of the State,” Sangma added.
When asked if the State Government will constitute an inquiry into the allegations on the Saubhagya scheme, he said that the Government cannot institute an inquiry on the basis of the allegations.
“If this kind of things happen then the Government will do look into it other than conducting inquiry on allegations after allegations. There should be some concrete evidence and proof on the basis that the Government can institute an inquiry,” Meghalaya Chief Minister said.
Earlier, the Leader of Opposition questioned the tendering process of the Saubhagya scheme, which was launched by the Government of India in 2017.
“The whole bidding document was manipulated and designed in such a manner to ensure that they can favour pre-identified bidders. With a limited bidders who qualified, they have managed to escalate the total cost of the project,” Sangma, who is also the former Chief Minister, had earlier stated.
Informing that the tender value of the Package A for Khasi and Jaintia Hills region was 173.60 crore, he said that the amount of the tender allotment based on the bidding with the escalation is allotted amount is 255.58 crore.
At the same time, he informed that the tender value of the Package B for the Garo Hills region is Rs 179 crore adding that the amount of tender allotment with the escalation is Rs 273.37 crore.