From Our Correspondent, Shillong News | Tura, Feb 10, 2018:
In an unfortunate incident, the house of former MLA of Rongjeng, Desang Sangma, was completely gutted in a fire allegedly caused by a electrical short circuit.
The incident took place at about 6:15 pm in East Garo Hills and continued for some time as there was delay in the Fire and Emergency Services (F&ES) arrival. The Fire service were unable to get there from Rongjeng and had to wait for the vehicle to come from Williamnagar, about 50 kms away by which time the entire building had been gutted.
It may be mentioned that Desang M Sangma is also an NCP candidate who will be contesting the Feb 27 election from Rongjeng Constituency.
“We received information of the fire as soon as it occurred. F&ES personnel immediately tried to reach the spot but in their eagerness, the vehicle fell into a ditch. The bigger machine was done for repairs for the past few days leading to a fire engine being sought from the town of Williamnagar,” said superintendent of police, EGH, Ringrang TG Momin.
By the time the F&ES got to the place, most of the damage had already been done and the fire had burnt out its normal course. No other structures were however damaged in the fire.