SHARE

From Our Correspondent | Tura, Oct 22, 2018: 

In an unfortunate incident, 6 people fell ill after consuming mushrooms, bought from the Megagre market in East Garo Hills, Meghalaya on Sunday afternoon.

The 6 victims, who all hail from Tura in West Garo Hills are currently said to be out of danger at the Tura Civil Hospital.

According to sources, the 6 victims of food poisoning have been identified as Tejan Momin (Physics lecturer from Tura Government College), Dr Barkarine R Marak (Williamnagar Civil Hospital) their son Luke Brandon R Marak, their maid Gracy R Marak and neighbour Silisa T Sangma and Domba Marak.

ALSO READ | Meghalaya: 5 die after consuming wild mushrooms

The mushrooms were allegedly purchased from Megagre and cooked yesterday afternoon. However, the family began to feel the effects of food poisoning immediately after consumption.

“They were rushed to the Tura Civil Hospital where they are currently out of danger. Thankfully they lived close by and were able to get quick medical help. We shudder to think what would have happened if they had lived in a remote place and needed time to reach a medical facility,” said a family member on condition of anonymity.

Two of the victims, Tejan and Dr Barkarine were released this afternoon though the others are still being monitored at TCH for now.

ALSO READ | 2 members of tribal family die, 1 falls ill after consuming wild mushrooms

“Two of the victims are currently under observation while the rest are fine. Most of them have been discharged,” said acting DC, AM Sangma from WGH.

Mushroom poisoning cases have been rampant in Garo Hills mainly due to the growth of the plant across the region. While some of these are fit for human consumption, most are not. Earlier there have been many documented cases of deaths due to consumption of mushrooms, mostly from the South Garo Hills region.

_____________________________

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here