SHILLONG | Dec 06, 2018:
Amid growing demand from several quarters on the need to constitute CBI inquiry into the murderous attack on RTI activist, Agnes Kharshiing and her colleague, Amita Sangma, the Meghalaya Government, however, is unwilling to succumb to pressure even as it expressed firmness on their decision to constitute a ‘judicial inquiry’ into the attack.
Informing this, Deputy Chief Minister, Prestone Tynsong today said that the Government is firmed on its decision to constitute a ‘judicial inquiry’ into the attempted murder of two social activists at Sohshrieh village in East Jaintia Hills on November 08 last.
“As it stands, the Government had already announced in the floor of the house that it will constitute an independent inquiry which means judicial inquiry,” Tynsong told reporters here on Thursday.
Reacting to queries on the demand for CBI probe which was made by the family members of the injured activists recently, he said that the decision to constitute a ‘judicial inquiry’ was taken by the Cabinet.
“The decision to constitute a CBI probe would also have to be decided by the Cabinet,” Deputy Chief Minister said.
He also said that so far, there was no discussion of reviewing the government’s decision to constitute a ‘judicial inquiry’.
“We are going ahead with the judicial inquiry. We will soon finalise the terms of reference of the inquiry. In the terms of reference, we would also mention the time to be given to the judicial inquiry to submit its report,” Tynsong said.
Earlier, the family members of Agnes and Amita during their meeting with Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma had demanded that the Government should constitute a CBI inquiry.
The Chief Minister had also stated that the Government is going to review the demand for a CBI probe even though he maintained that the Government would prefer to constitute a ‘judicial inquiry’.
Meanwhile, he said that they are yet to write to the Chief Justice of the Meghalaya High Court to recommend the name of the retired judge to head the judicial inquiry.
When asked whether the retired judge would be from Meghalaya High Court or Gauhati High Court, Deputy Chief Minister said that the Chief Justice is free to recommend any retired judge for heading the inquiry.
“The retired judge can be from the any High Court of the country and it is not necessary that the retired judge should be from the Meghalaya High Court,” he said.